Dec 7, 2013

DIY Christmas Gifts - Body Butter with Young Living Essential Oils

Let's just put it out there.  Money is tight.  But that doesn't mean that that I don't want to give amazing, thoughtful gifts to the people I love.  Over the next week or so, I am going to share with you a few of the DIY gifts I have been making that I am totally in love with.  I would be so thrilled to get these myself, so I know they will be a hit.  If you are on my gift list, please forget you saw this post ;)

So, tonight, I will share with you how to make amazing body butter with coconut oil and Young Living essential oils.

Here's what you need:


  •  2 cups organic coconut oil - I used Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut oil.  It is a good price, and good quality.
  • 1/2 cup fractionated coconut oil (coconut oil in it's liquid state)
  • 20 drops Young Living Essential Oils (I used Melrose and Lavender)
  • Container for finished product
Let's talk about the container for a minute.  I put mine in a few different containers, but aren't these cute:


(click the image to see the item on Amazon)

I think they would be perfect because of the wide mouth to dig out the body butter when you are getting low.

Here's what you do:
  • Melt together your solid oil and your liquid oil (coconut oil was the easiest for me to use, but you can choose other oils as long as you have a solid and a liquid)
  • This is the perfect project to do on the icy days we are having in Dallas because you need to bring the oils back to a semi-solid state once they are combined.  I melted mine in a Pyrex measuring bowl then placed them outside, covered with a dish towel, while I worked on another project.  Don't rush this step.  If the oils are liquid, they will not whip.
  • Put the semi-solid oils in your stand mixer (or use a hand mixer in a pinch) and whip the oils until they are the proper consistency.
  • Add Young Living essential oils and continue mixing.
  • Spoon body butter into your containers.  Mine made 18-20 ounces in case you were wondering for planning purposes.
  • Tie on a pretty bow and give as gifts!

I wrote a little note that reminded the user to store in a cool place - when coconut oil is warmed, it will turn liquid again.

Just from making this, my hands are super soft!  I am keeping one for myself and can't wait to add these to gifts for my kids teachers, friends and family.


Want to know how to purchase your own oils? Check out this info here!



Please remember that I am a Mama and not a doctor. These things work for us and I am in love with using homeopathic remedies for health in our home and I am excited to share them with you, but please use your best judgement for your own home.

11 comments :

FitChick said...

curious..what is the importance of having both the liquid and solid coconut oil if you're going to melt it together anyway? thanks!

Marcie said...

Hi FitChick, I have tried this both ways. When you use only regular coconut oil, the whip hardens back into the consistency it is in the jar. It's useable, but not convenient or luxurious. When you add the small amount of liquid oil, it stays whipped to a lotion consistency. I used it this morning on my skin that is dry from the heater and it worked beautifully!

Anonymous said...

What other liquid oil would you suggest? I am having a hard time finding fractionated coconut oil. I will be using this on my kids as well as myself. Ages 1-13. Thanks:)

Marcie said...

I actually found fractionated coconut oil at Walgreens :) You can also find it on Amazon or at health food stores (usually says Liquid Coconut Oil on the bottle). You can also try olive oil, jojoba oil, Emu oil, sweet almond oil... I think all of those would work!

Amy said...

Hi Marcie- Thanks for the fabulous recipe! I made this for the first time tonight and the consistency is perfect, but I felt like I added a lot of EOs and couldn't get past the coconut scent. I made two jars with Rosemary and Spearmint using 40-50 total drops, and one jar of lavender using 15 drops. I used 1/2 pint jars and your recipe made a perfect 3 jars. How much EO did you use?

Marcie said...

Hi Amy, I used 20 drops total. You can adjust to your liking. Keep in mind that some scents are more powerful than others :)

RobinN said...

Hey Marcie, do you think that liquid almond oil would work for this recipe as the liquid coconut oil? Just to mix up the scent and the benefits of the oils.
Thanks!

Marcie said...

Hi Robin! Yes, Any liquid oil will work for this - the key is to have a liquid oil and a solid oil so that you get the proper consistency.

Evie Dawson said...

Thanks for sharing.. The great thing about homemade body butters and lotions is that they are fully customizable to your unique needs or preferences.

akmred said...

Hello! I have leftover scented oils from making soy candles, could I use these scented oils in replace of essential oils?

Marcie said...

Akmred, I wouldn't - those are not therapeutic grade oils. In my opinion, you should only use the highest quality products on your skin, since your skin absorbs everything that you put on into your blood stream. I only use Young Living essential oils :)